Bear Care Tour Laos
Get special behind-the-scenes access to a rescued bear sanctuary with our Bear Care Tour. Hear the moving stories of the rescued bears, meet the bears and help the Bear Care Team prepare food and enrichment treats. You'll be delighted watching the bears search and gobble down the treats you've prepared. An exciting and unique once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Please book either a 2 hour Bear Care Tour of our gorgeous Bear Rescue Centre at Tat Kuang Si National Park (& visit the waterfalls at the same time) OR alternatively a 3 hour tour of our new multi-species Luang Prabang Wildlife Sanctuary (& meet a range of endangered species rescued from the illegal wildlife trade in addition to the bears).
Funds raised from your Bear Care Tour contribute directly to the care of the rescued bears you'll meet.
Please book at least 24 hours in advance as we have limited resources and need to prepare for tour.
To make a reservation please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/Whatsapp +856 (0) 209 750 7866
Note: If you contact us in the evenings or weekends, it may take longer to respond
OPTION 1: TAT KUANG SI BEAR RESCUE CENTRE: 2 hour tour 10am-12pm OR 1pm-3pm
Our Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre is located 30km south of Luang Prabang at the foot of the Kuang Si falls, a beautiful 50m high waterfall with turquoise pools, set in tropical rainforest. Since 2003, we've worked with the Luang Prabang Provincial Agriculture and Forestry Office to rescue bears from bile farms and the illegal wildlife trade and create a safe haven for these gorgeous rescued moon bears who can now relax in hammocks, play with new friends and live a safe, healthy life. You'll prepare an enrichment feed for the bears and afterwards you can also visit the waterfalls, go for a swim (free fish spa) and have a bite to eat at the many restaurants.
Bear Care Tour TAT KUANG SI BEAR RESCUE CENTRE (10am-12pm OR 1pm-3pm). Minimum donation for the tour is USD50 per person (kids 0-3 - FREE, kids 4-15 - 50% of adult). Transport to the sanctuary is NOT included. If required we are happy to arrange transport to the sanctuary @ $40USD for groups up to 8 people.
OPTION 2: LUANG PRABANG WILDLIFE SANCTUARY: 3 hour tour 9am-12pm OR 1pm-4pm
Our new Luang Prabang Wildlife Sanctuary is located 14km from Luang Prabang in a stunning mountain valley beside the rural village of Ban Nong Tok. This is a multi-species sanctuary, you’ll see rescued sun bears, moon bears and other endangered & vulnerable species. You’ll likely meet Mary Christmas, star of the BBC docuseries ‘Bears about the House’ as well as prepare an enrichment feed for the bears! The sanctuary is not open to the public.
Bear Care Tour LUANG PRABANG WILDLIFE SANCTUARY (9am-12pm OR 1pm-4pm). Minimum donation for the tour is USD60 per person (kids 0-3 - FREE, kids 4-15 - 50% of adult). Transport to the sanctuary is NOT included. If required we are happy to arrange transport to the sanctuary @ $40USD for groups up to 8 people.
Having trouble deciding which tour to take? At our Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre (Option 1) you’ll meet rescued moon bears (Asiatic black bears) only, but you can also visit the waterfalls. At our Luang Prabang Wildlife Sanctuary you’ll meet sun bears, moon bears and other species. Both sanctuaries are in stunning locations - whichever you choose you’re sure to have a wonderful and unique experience.
- Free the Bears does not supply transport from Luang Prabang to the centers. You can easily book tuk tuks or mini vans through hostels or hotels, especially for Tat Kuang Si which is a popular destination
- Please make sure you allow plenty of time to arrive to the Bear Rescue Centre before your tour. Feeding times are set and a late arrival may mean you miss out. The journey from Luang Prabang to either sanctuary takes around 1 hour
- Please make sure you negotiate your leaving time with the driver prior to booking the transport
- You will be required by the government to pay a 20,000 kip (about USD$2.50) entrance fee (per person) to the Tat Kuang Si National Park for Option 1. We do not benefit from the entrance fee, nor do we have the authority to waive the fee for Free the Bears visitors or volunteers
- Direct contact with the bears is not possible under any circumstances - these are rescued wild animals & we want them to enjoy as natural a life as possible
- We advise to bring closed footwear for walking, sunscreen, hats & mosquito repellent. Bring your swimwear if visiting Tat Kuang Si
Get in touch now to book a trip - email to email@example.com or call/Whatsapp: +856 (0) 209 750 7866