Bear Care Tour Laos
We offer an exciting chance for visitors to book half day behind-the-scenes Bear Care Tours. You'll hear the moving stories of our rescued bears as well as learn what we're doing to protect wild bears. You'll then meet the bears and help the Bear Care Team prepare their food and enrichment treats, and be delighted by the bears searching for the treats and gobbling them down.
You have the choice for a Bear Care Tour at our gorgeous Bear Rescue Centre at Tat Kuang Si National Park OR alternatively at our new multi-species Luang Prabang Wildlife Sanctuary. To make a reservation please click here to email us or call: +856 (0) 209 556 1025 or +856 (0) 205 691 9988. Funds raised from these unique, private experiences will contribute directly to the care of the animals you’ll meet.
Bear Care Tour OPTION 1: TAT KUANG SI BEAR RESCUE CENTRE: 10:15am - 12pm with option for 2pm-3pm enrichment (included in price)
Our Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre is located 30km south of Luang Prabang at the foot of the Kuang Si falls, a beautiful 50m high waterfall with turquoise pools, set in tropical rainforest. Since 2003, we've worked with the Luang Prabang Provincial Agriculture and Forestry Office to rescue bears from bile farms and the illegal wildlife trade and create a safe haven for these gorgeous rescued moon bears who can now relax in hammocks, play with new friends and live a safe, healthy life.
Bear Care Tour OPTION 2: LUANG PRABANG WILDLIFE SANCTUARY (9am-12pm)
Our new Luang Prabang Wildlife Sanctuary is located 14km from Luang Prabang in a stunning mountain valley beside the rural village of Ban Nong Tok. This is a multi-species sanctuary, you’ll see rescued sun bears, moon bears and other endangered & vulnerable species including red pandas and macaques. You’ll even meet Mary Christmas star of the BBC docuseries ‘Bears about the House’ as well as prepare an enrichment feed for the bears! The sanctuary is not open to the public so you will be getting very special private access to the sanctuary.
- MEET at 10:15 at Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre OR 9:00am at entrance to Luang Prabang Wildlife Sanctuary
- Learn about the history and work of Free the Bears & take a special behind-the-scenes tour, meeting the animals and gaining access to areas not open to the public
- 11:15 Help the team hide food in the bear’s forest enclosures & watch the bears enjoy the fruits of your labour
- 12:00 End of tour (option to join again from 2-3pm if taking Option 1 Tat Kuang Si Bear Care Tour)
For the Tat Kuang Si Bear Care Tour, you can then visit the waterfall, go for a swim (free fish spa) and have a bite to eat at the many restaurants and then help the Bear Care Team make an enrichment treat for the bears at 2pm. Please inform when booking if you would like to take part in the 2pm activity (at least 1 day before the tour):
- 14:00 Help the Bear Care Team make enrichment for all of the bears at the rescue centre
- 14:30 Bear Care Team will hide your enrichment in the bears enclosures, you can watch the bears figure out the treats inside
- 15:00 Tour ends
OPTION 1: Bear Care Tour TAT KUANG SI BEAR RESCUE CENTRE (10:15am - 12pm with option for 2pm-3pm enrichment)
SPECIAL DISCOUNTED RATES UNTIL FEBRUARY 28, 2021 - USD$50 for 2 people, USD$20/person for 3/4 people, (USD$15 for each extra person over 4)
OPTION 2: Bear Care Tour LUANG PRABANG WILDLIFE SANCTUARY (9am-12pm)
SPECIAL DISCOUNTED RATE UNTIL FEBRUARY 28, 22\021 - USD$60 for 2 people, USD25/person for 3/4 people, USD20/person for 5-8 people. Maximum 8 people, one booking day. Transport if required: $40USD for entire group
- Free the Bears does not supply transport from Luang Prabang to the centers. You can easily book tuk tuks or mini vans through hostels or hotels, especially for Tat Kuang Si which is a popular destination
- Please make sure you allow plenty of time to arrive to the Bear Rescue Centre before your 9pm or 10:15am start time for the tour. Feeding times are set and a late arrival may mean you miss out. The journey from Luang Prabang to either sanctuary takes around 1 hour
- Please make sure you negotiate your leaving time with the driver prior to booking the transport, especially if you wish to make enrichment and leave after 3pm
- You will be required by the government to pay a 20,000 kip (about USD$2.50) entrance fee (per person) to the Tat Kuang Si National Park for Option 1. We do not benefit from the entrance fee, nor do we have the authority to waive the fee for Free the Bears visitors or volunteers
- Direct contact with the bears is not possible under any circumstances - these are rescued wild animals & we want them to enjoy as natural a life as possible
- We advise to bring closed footwear for walking, sunscreen, hats & mosquito repellent. Bring your swimwear if visiting Tat Kuang Si
Get in touch now to book a trip - email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call: +856 (0) 209 556 1025 or +856 (0) 205 691 9988.